Pulmonary Hypertension Association-accredited Centers of Comprehensive Care
updated August 8, 2017
A complex disease needs a comprehensive approach
The Comprehensive Pulmonary Hypertension Center (CPHC) at UMC New Orleans has won top-tier accreditation from the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA), becoming the state’s first Center of Comprehensive Care for the rare and complex condition that affects the arteries in the lungs and heart. Staffed with specialists from LSU & Tulane, CPHC offers comprehensive and coordinated care, a multi-specialty team approach, an array of auxiliary services, and intensive therapeutics for patients with Pulmonary Hypertension, a rare and complex condition.
Patients receive seamless Pulmonary Hypertension care, expert nursing support, access to PH research studies, support groups, and inpatient care should hospitalization be required.
Our expert team includes pulmonologists, cardiologists, rheumatologists, dedicated nurse specialists, social workers, nutritionists and other sub-specialists to provide an exceptional level of inpatient and outpatient care for patients living with PH.
For referring physicians
Who we treat:
- Patients with all forms of pulmonary hypertension
- Patients at high risk for development of pulmonary hypertension
- Connective tissue disease (e.g. scleroderma, myositis, vasculitis)
- Interstitial lung disease
- Patients with a history of pulmonary embolism
To refer a new patient to the CPHC, please download and complete our online referral form, then fax to (504) 702-5728. To contact the CPHC, call (504) 702-5057.
Mission and Vision
We have established an accredited, special expertise PH Center of Comprehensive Care at UMC to deliver state-of-the-art care to ALL patients with PH. This center is developing into the premier PH center in the South, gaining an international reputation for excellence in PH care, and expanding our clinical and basic science research programs.
- An integrated clinic model that provides ongoing co-management services with other outpatient clinics. We supply primary and specialty care by extending the scope of services to include advanced care planning and one-stop access to all auxiliary services such as nutrition, respiratory therapy, palliative care, thoracic radiology, transplant referral, etc.
- A streamlined admissions process to increase response time and improve care with available on-site inpatient services
- An academic faculty of multi-specialty physicians from LSU and Tulane
- Working in collaboration and in concurrent care with community cardiologists, pulmonologists and rheumatologists so that patients receive benefits of maintaining strong ties with local physicians and also receiving highly specialized care.
- Patient education programs focusing on nutrition, healthy lifestyles, and community outreach to increase awareness of PH
- Research initiatives to advance the study and treatment of PH (click here for our current/recent clinical research studies)
Meet our Team
Meet our multi-disciplinary LSU, Tulane and UMC staff
In the News
Dr. Lesley Ann Saketkoo received the 2018 “Doctor of the Year” award from the Scleroderma Foundation, a national non-profit health organization dedicated to support, education and research for scleroderma and related diseases. Dr. Saketkoo, who serves as Co-Director of the CPHC, was recognized for her outstanding work as a physician and caregiver to the scleroderma community. She is an Associate Professor of Medicine in the Divisions of Pulmonary Medicine and Rheumatology at Tulane University. Watch the presentation.
Curious about Participating in Research?
Click here to learn more about clinical studies