Are you the victim/survivor of sexual assault or domestic violence? If so, we are here to help.
The Forensic Program is located at University Medical Center New Orleans in the Emergency Department. To access service, please come to the 2nd Floor of the Emergency Department and request a forensic consult.
About our Program
For over 17 years, University Medical Center New Orleans (UMCNO) has been committed to providing trauma-informed care in a safe environment after an assault.
24/7 Forensic Services are provided at UMCNO for ages 15 & up by specially trained forensic nurses. (For ages under 15 years please contact the Children’s Hospital Audrey Hepburn Center @ (504) 896-9237 http://www.chnola.org/CAREcenter )
About a Forensic Medical Examination:
- A forensic medical examination involving a sexual assault is FREE.
- The police do not have to be notified for patients ages 17 & older. A confidential forensic medical examination can be performed regardless if law enforcement is notified.
- Upon arrival, please ask for a forensic consult & you will be immediately triaged.
- A forensic medical examination may include evidence collection at any points after a sexual assault.
- A multi-disciplinary team approach is involved in the examination of physical trauma after a sexual assault.
- The forensic nurse will provide one-on-one patient care for forensic medical examinations which may include:
- Permission to participate in the examination
- Patient advocate
- Forensic evidence collection
- Forensic photography
- HIV/STD Testing & prevention medications
- Laboratory Testing
- Pregnancy Prevention Options
- Clothing & toiletries provided after a shower
- Referrals for follow-up services
- A safety plan
- A forensic medical examination is based on the decision(s) of the patient. Each patient is in control of which parts of the examination he/she would like to participate in.
Our specially trained forensic nurses are experienced nurses who have successfully completed over 200 hours of training. Forensic Nurses at UMCNO follow the International Association of Forensic Nursing Educational Guidelines.
24/7 Local Confidential Crisis Hotlines
Sexual Trauma Awareness & Response (STAR)
(855) 435-STAR or (504) 407-0711
New Orleans Family Justice Center