UMC New Orleans is continuing a rich legacy dating back nearly 300 years. From the beginnings of Charity Hospital and University Hospital, continuing with Interim LSU Hospital from public to private management, we are delivering care that is on the cutting edge of medicine to all those who need it in the Greater New Orleans area, teaching future medical professionals and exploring new frontiers in health care. We look forward to writing new chapters in our history and advancing our mission of compassionate, quality care in our new, state-of-the-art facility.
History of Charity Hospital
Founded in May 1736 by French seaman, Jean Louis, Charity Hospital opened its doors to take care of the original settlers of New Orleans. Over its history, Charity Hospital moved six times and was on the forefront of medicine despite epidemics, wars and natural disasters. In 1942, the Charity Hospital Blood Bank was opened, one of the first in the country and the largest in the South. Many Charity doctors advanced medical knowledge through their research on specimens from hospital patients.
— Dr. John Salvaggio
History of University Hospital
The Daughters of Charity opened University Hospital (Hotel Dieu) in 1859, more than a century after the founding of Charity. In 1913, it was the first hospital in the country to air-condition its surgical suites, and it was the site of milestone medical research that developed sulfonamide drug treatment for meningitis in the 1940s. The hospital developed a special relationship with LSU Health Sciences Center in the 1970s and 1980s. Following the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, Charity Hospital was closed and University Hospital reopened in 2006 as Interim LSU Public Hospital, becoming the main teaching hospital for LSU Health Sciences Center and took over as the area’s only Level 1 Trauma Center.
Transition and Transformation
In June 2013, ILH joined the family of hospitals in LCMC Health, a local, community-minded healthcare leader that operates Children's Hospital, Touro Infirmary, New Orleans East Hospital and West Jefferson Medical Center. In August 2015, we began the next chapter in our history with the opening of the state-of-the-art, $1.2 billion University Medical Center New Orleans. We look forward to carrying on our legacy and becoming an epicenter of medical care, education and research for the coming decades and beyond.