(New Orleans, LA) – University Medical Center (University Medical Center) New Orleans announces the Spirit of Charity Foundation’s participation in GiveNOLA Day 2016. Hosted by the Greater New Orleans Foundation, GiveNOLA Day is the community’s third annual, 24-hour online charitable giving event to inspire people to give generously to nonprofit organizations that are making our region stronger, creating a vibrant community for all. The Spirit of Charity Foundation is proud to be a participating nonprofit.
The Spirit of Charity Foundation’s mission is to support and facilitate patient-centered care, actively promote health and wellness and to advance medical research and education through fundraising efforts for the benefit of the University Medical Center New Orleans, its patients and friends. The Foundation is committed to helping University Medical Center New Orleans charity care patients who have household incomes below the federal poverty levels and receive financial assistance for healthcare from University Medical Center New Orleans. In fulfilling its mission, the Foundation facilitates and supports the following programs:
- Cancer Care – Nutritional supplements, treatment supplies, and transportation to and from treatment appointments for our cancer patients
- Medication Bridge Program – Prescriptions, respiratory equipment and other durable medical equipment and supplies for our patients
- Transportation Assistance – Patient transportation to and from clinic appointments
- Medical Research – Funds available to LSU and Tulane Medical Schools to facilitate research that directly benefits University Medical Center New Orleans patients
- Reach Out and Read – Children’s books to be given out during pediatrician visits throughout the state of Louisiana
“We are excited to be part of GiveNOLA Day in its third year. We see this as a way to raise awareness for the work we do in our community,” said Peter DeBlieux, MD, Chief Medical Officer, University Medical Center New Orleans and Executive Director, Spirit of Charity Foundation.
The public is invited to visit www.GiveNOLA.org from midnight to midnight on Tuesday, May 3, search for "Spirit of Charity Foundation" and click "Donate Now”; or go directly to GiveNOLA.org/npo/spirit-of-charity-foundation. Every gift over $10 will receive a little lagniappe thanks to the generous GiveNOLA Day sponsors and the Greater New Orleans Foundation.
For more information about the Spirit of Charity Foundation, visit www.spiritofcharityfoundation.org. For more information on the programs and services at University Medical Center New Orleans, visit www.UMCNO.org. For more information about GiveNOLA Day, visit www.GiveNOLA.org.