UMC accepts all patients needing health care services. To assist you in paying for the health services provided by the team at UMC, the hospital accepts payment from Medicare, Medicaid, Medicaid commercial and many other health insurance plans. Typically, these insurers require the patient to pay part of the hospital bill, including co-pays and deductibles, or a deposit at time of service.
UMC is pleased to offer secure, convenient online bill pay
Click here to pay your bill online.
Residents of Louisiana may be eligible for Financial Assistance. Patients are encouraged to visit the Financial Counseling area in the first lobby of the Hospital for screening. You will be required to complete an application to be screened prior to your participation. Please contact Financial Counseling at 504.702.3500. For those who are without coverage for all or a significant part of their bill, payment arrangements may be requested by calling 504.702.2081. Click here to learn more about Financial Assistance at UMC.
Patients covered by Medicare who have limited resources may be eligible for additional assistance. Such individuals should contact Financial Counseling office at 504.702.3500.
UMC will bill you for all hospital services. Your doctor and the other doctors who provide you care while you are in the hospital will bill you separately. If you have questions about your UMC hospital bill or if you would like a detailed hospital bill, you may call 504.702.2081.
Insurance plans accepted
UMC accepts the insurance plans listed below. Please note that health care services may be provided to you at by facility-based physicians who are not in your health plan. You may be responsible for payment of all or part of the fees for those out-of-network services, in addition to applicable amounts due for co-payments, coinsurance, deductibles, and non-covered services.
- Aetna – HMO/QPOS/Elect Choice/Managed Choice POS/Choice POS II/Aetna Select/Open Choice PPO/National Advantage/Medicare
- Aetna Better Health – Bayou Health Plan - Medicaid
- AmeriGroup – Bayou Health Plan - Medicaid
- Amerihealth Caritas (formerly LaCare) – Bayou Health Plan - Medicaid
- Blue Cross – HMO & PPO
- Coventry – HMO/POS Commercial/Self-Insured/National PPO/ Medicare/First Health
- Louisiana HealthCare Connections – Bayou Health Plan - Medicaid
- LSU First
- Peoples Health Network – Medicare
- UMR – LCMC Health Employees
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare Community Care – Bayou Health Plan - Medicaid
- Verity HealthNet
- Wellcare – Medicare
- Out-of-network plans – Humana and Cigna
Balance billing disclosure act
New Disclosure Requirements Effective August 1, 2017
Effective August 1, 2017, Louisiana Law states that all patients, when registering for services in a hospital or clinic, must be given and sign a new disclosure form – specifically the ACT 306/HB435 Regulatory Advisory. As a patient, you are being asked to review and sign this new disclosure form. This new form advises that you may receive a medical procedure or professional care from a physician or health care professional that will not be part of your hospital bill, and there is potential that these services may not be covered by your health insurance provider. As a result, you may be responsible for payment for all or part of these services. You are encouraged to contact your health plan to determine whether these independent physicians or health care professionals are covered by your health insurance.
- Anesthesiology – Parish Anesthesia of New Orleans, LLC 504.779.5515
- Pathology – LSU Healthcare Network 504.412.1100
- Emergency Medicine – The Schumacher Group 800.893.9698
- Radiology – Access Radiology 318.442.8399
Cost of Care
LCMC Health is committed to helping patients understand and prepare for the cost of their care. As is required by federal regulations, LCMC Health provides a list of standard charges for services provided at our facilities; however, it is extremely important for our patients to understand that standard charges may not be a relevant starting point for estimating what costs you may incur for your care. The amount that will ultimately be billed to a patient will depend on that patient’s insurance coverage, policy provisions and other factors, including the patient’s medical condition.
The charges displayed only include hospital charges and do not include charges that are billed separately by the physician or other professional fees. Furthermore, the actual amount paid by a patient will depend on that patient’s insurance coverage, as benefit plans vary greatly. Also, please note that the charges are accurate as of the date they are posted, but are subject to change.
We understand that these factors can make it difficult to predict your cost of care, so we encourage you to call our Financial Assistance staff at (504) 702-3500 for a personalized estimate.
IF YOU HAVE COMMERCIAL INSURANCE:
• Contact your insurance company to understand all of the factors affecting your financial responsibility.
• Numerous factors, such as type of plan, co-pay, co-insurance, deductible, out-of-pocket maximums, provider network and other limitations, will affect your financial responsibility to a hospital.
• The prices reflected on this site do not include charges for the physician or other professional fees, such as pharmacy, diagnostic imaging or lab work.
• The prices reflected on this site do not include any negotiated discounts between your insurance company and the hospital.
IF YOU HAVE MEDICARE:
• Medicare has many different parts, and not everyone has the same type of Medicare coverage. Medicare will pay for many of your healthcare expenses but not all of them.
• Special rules apply if you have employer group health insurance coverage through your job or a spouse’s job.
• If you have a supplemental health insurance policy, it may cover some costs that Medicare does not cover.
• The best way to be sure of what your Medicare plan covers is to call 1-800-MEDICARE, or visit the website at www.mymedicare.gov.
IF YOU HAVE MEDICAID:
• Contact your local Medicaid office at 1-888-544-7996, or visit the Louisiana Department of Health to determine all the factors affecting your financial responsibility.
• Generally, Medicaid recipients are not responsible for any portion of the bill.
IF YOU ARE UNINSURED:
• Please contact our Financial Assistance Department at (504) 702-3500 and ask about our payment policies.
• As required by the Affordable Care Act (ACA), hospitals have a written financial assistance policy that includes eligibility criteria, the basis for calculating charges and the method for applying for financial assistance.
• Contact our Financial Assistance Department at (504) 702-3500 to determine if you meet the criteria for financial assistance.