University Medical Center (UMC) New Orleans offers Behavioral Health services to meet the needs of those struggling with mental health issues that have substantially disrupted their daily lives. With the right treatments and strategies, patients can regain control of their behavioral health and get back to feeling empowered.
Our multidisciplinary teams, working in our 60-bed Inpatient Units and
26-bed Behavioral Health Emergency Room, provide comprehensive evaluations
and individualized care so that patients may recover and improve their
quality of life.
Our dedicated team includes a variety of healthcare professionals on the treatment team including:
- Board-certified psychiatrists
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Specially trained nurses
- Substance abuse counselors
- Clinical psychologists
- Therapeutic recreational specialists
Referring a patient?
Referrals are accepted from physicians, insurance companies, mental health professionals, family members and individuals. For more information, call 504-702-5700.
We offer varying levels of care intensity with services designed to help those in need of outpatient clinic care as well as those in crisis. If you or a loved one are having suicidal thoughts or experiencing a mental health emergency, you should seek help immediately.
Our behavioral health offerings include:
- Behavioral health emergency room – This 26-bed UMC Behavioral Health Emergency Room (BHER) specializes in proactive, rapid assessment, stabilization, and treatment of patients in crisis. Learn more by clicking here.
- Adult inpatient services – UMC's 60-bed Behavioral Health Inpatient Unit provides compassionate care to adults in need of short-term hospitalization for crisis intervention, assessment and symptom stabilization. Patients are placed on the therapeutic unit that would be of most benefit for their condition. Learn more by clicking here.
- Integrated outpatient care – The Integrated Outpatient Care clinics at UMC provide patients with high-quality care for ongoing medical and behavioral health needs. Learn more here.
- Consultation liaison service – The UMC Consultation and Liaison service provides psychiatric and psychologic care to patients admitted to the ICU, medical and surgical units. Learn more here.
- Trauma Recovery Clinic - The Trauma Recovery Clinic (TRC) at University Medical Center New Orleans provides behavioral health services to trauma patients and their families. Learn more here.
Click here for a list of community resources and outpatient psychiatry programs in and around New Orleans.
If you or someone you know is undergoing a mental health crisis, free resources are available to offer help and counseling.
For free mental health assistance, some available resources are:
- VIALink – Dial 211 or 1.800.749.2673 for 24/7 information and resources on health services
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – Dial 800.273.8255; Deaf/hard of hearing: 800.799.4889 for TTY; En Español: 1.888.628.9454 or chat with a crisis counselor between 1p.m. – 1 a.m. Monday-Friday.