About the Comprehensive Breast Health Program
Our Comprehensive Breast Health Program comprises a multidisciplinary team of doctors and other health care specialists (nurses, physician assistants, social workers and nurse navigators) focused on the comprehensive management of patients with all types of breast disease—both benign (non-cancer issues) and malignant (breast cancer).
Through our strong partnership with LSU Health New Orleans, we are very excited to offer a complete and comprehensive approach to patients with all sorts of breast issues, ranging from someone feeling a breast lump, breast pain, an abnormal mammogram, a second opinion or managing a patient with a newly diagnosed breast cancer. Click here for a message from the Director.
Consultation, evaluation & treatment of breast disease
Our comprehensive breast health program helps patients understand the choices they face in future treatments and procedures.
These steps include:
- Initial consultation with a board-certified general surgeon focused on breast disease or fellowship-trained surgical oncologist (who also has an expertise in treating breast cancer) within 7 days of the initial diagnosis of breast cancer
- Consultation and comprehensive surgical management of patients with early and later stages of breast cancer including DCIS, genetic breast cancer, inflammatory breast cancer, Paget’s disease, and other less recognized entities
- Comprehensive management of benign breast disease: breast pain, nipple discharge, a breast lump/mass, abnormal mammogram or ultrasound, fibroadenoma, intraductal papilloma, high-risk lesions such as ADH, ALH and LCIS
- Second opinion consultation for those patients wishing to gain further knowledge about their breast cancer and treatment options available to them
- A formal weekly, prospective and multidisciplinary breast cancer care conferencethat discusses each patient with the new diagnosis of breast cancer
- Utilization of the latest established National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) treatment guidelines, National Institutes of Health (NIH) consensus statements and the latest and most up-to-date evidence-based medicine
- Minimally invasive surgical procedures such as breast conservation surgery (lumpectomy), sentinel lymph node mapping and nipple-sparing mastectomyfor select patients
- Comprehensive and state-of-the-art Breast Radiology Department for the most technically advanced and personalized care for the early detection and screening for breast cancer
- Minimally invasive biopsy techniques for rapid tissue diagnosis of a breast abnormality (often the same day)
- Screening and diagnostic mammograms
- Screening and diagnostic ultrasound of the breast
- 3-dimensional (3D) mammography and tomosynthesis
- MRI of the breast (with a biopsy when necessary)
Access to specialty care & clinical trials
Our breast health center performs a wide variety of services to help patients get the care they need.
- Plastic and Reconstructive Services – Nationally recognized experts in breast reconstruction providing services such as breast implants, tissue flaps (Latissimus, TRAM flaps) and free flap breast reconstruction (DIEP flaps)
- Medical Oncology – A specialized team of fellowship-trained medical oncologists who are integral members of your cancer care team; They will discuss with you the latest regimens available for either chemotherapy, hormonal therapy or the latest in personalized testing according to NCCN treatment guidelines.
- Radiation Oncology – Growing and experienced team utilizing the latest breast radiation treatment modalities (whole-breast and partial-breast) with capacity for Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) and breast brachytherapy techniques
- Vascular Care – Comprehensive vascular access for the breast cancer patient that requires long term therapy with chemotherapy and targeted therapy (Port-a-cath, Hickman catheters)
- Genetic testing and counseling – Such testing will be discussed with your medical or surgical oncologist accordingly and based upon your overall family risk
- Access to Clinical Trials – Combined with the Stanley S. Scott Cancer Center at LSU Health, we have a full portfolio of the latest breast cancer clinical trials available to you or your family member. These are the same clinical trials that are available at the top cancer centers across the US, with others that are unique and only available at UMC.
Louisiana Breast and Cervical Health Program (LBCHP)
We have a strong partnership with the LBCHP which is funded through several resources (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and several other local and national organizations). We have a formal collaboration with LSU Health New Orleans in order to provide these vital services to the needy and underserved, usually at no cost to those women that are uninsured, under-insured or of lower income. Our partnership strengthens our ability to provide such care for those that need it the most, specifically focused upon reaching women who rarely, or never, receive such early detection and screening services.
These services include:
- Clinical breast exam and consultation by a physician and/or specialty-trained physician assistant
- Screening and diagnostic mammogram
- Pelvic examination and PAP smears by a gynecologist
- Diagnostic tests when necessary, such as diagnostic mammograms, breast ultrasound and breast biopsies of suspicious areas of the breast
Make an appointment
Call 504.702.5700 to speak with a Patient Access representative. A representative is available to take your call 24/7. On your appointment day, please arrive at least 45 minutes before your scheduled time.