Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program
About our program
University Medical Center New Orleans is proud to be a leader in medical care, research, and training as the region’s only Level 1 Trauma Center and Burn Center and the state’s largest academic medical center.
Our Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program offers candidates the opportunity to be part of one of the most innovative and impactful healthcare organizations in Louisiana. Clinical Pastoral Education is interfaith professional education for ministry. It brings theological students and members of all faiths (pastors, priests, rabbis, imams, and others) into supervised encounter with people in crisis.
Out of an intense involvement with people in need, and the feedback from peers and teachers, students develop new awareness of themselves as persons and the needs of those to whom they minister. From theological reflection on specific human situations, they gain a new understanding of ministry. Within the interdisciplinary team process of helping people, they develop skills in interpersonal and interprofessional relations. -acpe.edu
We are currently accepting applications for the 2020-2021 year long program.
- Seven stipend positions available: $35,568 with benefits package available
- Residency year: Monday, September 14, 2020 - Friday, September 17, 2021.
- $1,000 tuition fee
The Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program operates on a rolling admissions basis. Since the year-long program begins in September, it is usually wiser to apply in the preceding autumn or winter than waiting until the spring.
- Baccalaureate degree (BA or BS) minimum
- Higher degree (e.g., MDiv, MTS) strongly preferred
- Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Two years active membership in good standing with a faith community
- Formal theological training recommended
- Ordination and/or commission preferred, where applicable.
You must apply both to the job posting of Chaplain Resident and to the
Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program to be considered.
- Completed ACPE application with essay responses (available at acpe.edu > Resources > CPE Applications). Please note that all academic credentials must be documented with copies of diplomas or academic transcripts.
- Job posting: umcno.org/careers/
- Processing fee (US $25 – check or money order made payable to University Medical Center New Orleans). Once we receive your application check and have reviewed your materials, we will notify you if we can offer you an interview opportunity. You can also pay online here and choose Spiritual Care Fund in the Programs drop-down menu.
- On-site personal interviews with Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program faculty and with department staff. Interviews are a two-step process: an initial interview with Clinical Pastoral Education Residency Program faculty and a follow-up interview with Spiritual Care staff.
- Completed reference forms. These will be solicited by the department from the persons you list as references on your application.
University Medical Center New Orleans is provisionally accredited to offer Level I and Level II Clinical Pastoral Education by The Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc.
55 Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard
Decatur Georgia 30308
For more information about the Clinical Pastoral Education Program, visit umcno.org/spiritualcare
Rev. Abina Johnson, MDiv, BCC
Clinical Pastoral Education Manager
ACPE Associate Certified Educator